Probate is the method by which the state allows for the orderly transfer of the assets and liabilities to the beneficiaries and heirs of an individual after their death. Typically, probate is required in California, the law stating that the executor of a will or appointed representative of the deceased must complete the process within one year of the day they are appointed.
- Probate attorney consultation DetailsIt’s so very difficult to loss a loved one. In addition to grieving for the loss of a member of your family or close friend, if you’ve been entrusted with settling their estate, you’re going to have that much more to handle. A good probate attorney can be a huge help at a time like this . . .
- Probate court delays from COVID DetailsThe rise in Omicron cases in January throughout California has, once again, led to a backlog of cases in the California courts, including the probate courts . . .
- How long can probate last in California? DetailsCalifornia law states that the probate process must be completed within one year from the date that the estate’s personal representative is appointed unless they’re required to file federal estate tax. The maximum length can be extended to 18 months . . .
- California court backlogged from COVID DetailsThe San Diego County court system, just like the courts in the rest of California and across the country, is experiencing delays leading to a backlog of cases due to COVID . . .
- Transferring real estate after death without a will DetailsSetting up a transfer on death (TOD) deed is one of the easiest ways to arrange for the transfer of real estate after death . . .
- San Diego Probate Court Status (open or closed) DetailsThe San Diego Probate Court is scheduled to reopen on Tuesday, May 26. However, a second wave of COVID-19 could force another closure..
- You need a probate attorney, and you need one fast DetailsHandling the estate of a family member or close friend after they’ve died is often stressful and emotionally draining. The probate process just adds more stress to this difficult time….
- Selling a home in the San Diego Probate System DetailsThere are time when a family has to go through the probate process when selling the house of a family member or close relative that has died without a will or trust or hasn’t designated any beneficiaries to inherit his or her assets. In San Diego, the San Diego probate court outlines the process….
- Why navigating probate alone is nearly impossible DetailsIf you’ve lost a family member or loved one, it’s a very difficult time. You’re dealing with your grief and the stress of the funeral and all that goes with it. But, after the funeral, comes probate which is the process of handling the deceased’s estate. Navigating probate alone can be confusing and overwhelming…
- Probate court nightmare stories DetailsMost people would like to avoid the hassle and stress of having to go through probate. There are a lot of probate court nightmare stories that support this position and for good reason….
- How long does the probate process take DetailsThe timeline for the process can vary from state to state and depend on a number of variables such as the size of the estate or any unexpected problems that may arise….
- Can you avoid probate if there isn’t a will DetailsIf you should die without making a will in the state of California, your assets will go to your closest relatives under the laws of intestate succession . . ..